Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Gettin' Too Frisky

I am on a roll with busting tournaments before the 1st break, lately. Something I've never done before. It's happened in the last 2 tournaments I've played. Twice. Two in a row. Back to back. I never understood people who bust early to anything other than a cooler. Now I am one of them! What's the deal?

In the last tournament, it folded around to the button who limped in. I called in the SB with QcJs. (Yes, I could've and should've raised I suppose, but I thought I'd see a flop and go from there against these 2 particular players.) The button and BB have me covered. The BB, a young, newbie tourist, made a min raise. It meant nothing, he'd been raising often from any position. The button calls, as do I. Good spot to squeeze here...the more I think about it, the more I'm glad I busted, serves me right the way I played it! LOL

Anyway, 3 to the flop which came Jc 6c 3c

So, I have top pair, decent kicker and a flush draw. Pretty good flop. I check to the raiser. He makes an expected continuation bet. The older man on the button raises a large amount. I don't remember exactly, it's been a while, but it was for most of my stack...say I had 8k and he made it 5k. I knew he had a made flush already. I knew it. But I thought my club draw was higher than his made flush. If I could get another club, I would take it down and get a nice double up. It was about 70/30 on the flop. I don't know what's got into me lately, but I have been taking these unnecessary risks. I move all in, the BB folds and he of course snap calls with 10c 7c. No club came and I was out.

I hate how I played it the whole way. Also, in my quest to be Vanessa Selbst Jr...haha just kidding, I could never be that aggro I don't think...but I have been taking more risks, probably not the best risks in hindsight, but I'm actively trying to mix things up. It's a fine line between creative lines and spew, though. I'm still trying to find the balance.

However, in my next tournament, feel free to run over me for the first few levels. I'm not playing a hand 'til after the 1st break. Ha!

2 comments:

  1. It just looks like you played this hand poorly for early in a tournament. It happens, but your recent posts indicate that you are a much better tournament player than this. Time to get back to solid play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd see a flop and go from there against these 2 particular players.

    Against people like this, you almost can't raise enough to run them out. Then you've built a pot and have to play out of position (with a marginal hand) which isn't a good idea.

    ReplyDelete