Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tough Decision? Not Really

Here's a pretty interesting hand that occurred not long after I started playing NL cash games earlier this year. It showcases my biggest leak, one that has cost me around $1000 in profits so far. Needless to say, it must be fixed asap.

But let me give you a little background pre. I'd been playing NL cash games for about a month at this point, having switched from Limit Holdem with the occasional NL tournament. I began my NL cash foray at Harrahs, because of the 3 poker rooms in Tunica (Hollywood makes 4, but it really doesn't count for NL action), Harrahs seemed the 'safest'. The players there are far less aggressive (on average mind you, there are occasional exceptions, of course) than Horseshoe or Gold Strike. The pots are smaller and you're going to win less on average, but you can also lose less and reduce your variance and that was my goal as a beginner.

So, it's about a month later and I'm up a little. It's a Monday evening and there's only 1 table going at Harrahs. I waited 30 mins and decided those guys weren't going anywhere any time soon, so reluctantly, I went to Horseshoe. I say "reluctantly" because that is where all the true gamblers and crazy action supposedly resides and I wasn't sure I was ready for all that! But sure enough, I found the gamblers and their crazy action at a 1/3 must-move table. Ready or not, here we go. The chips were flying fast and furious. The all-ins with the super light calls, the numerous rebuys, half the table trying to straddle at the same time..it was a world away from the quiet little Harrahs game I'd been playing!

To my surprise, I had a little run good in that game, nearly doubling up early with a set over set situation. I stayed out of trouble that night and the next night. I was doing ok against the action players, so I decided I was done with the quiet Harrahs game lol. Then on the 3rd night playing there, The Hand came up.

This table was not too crazy, there was only one aggressive guy at the table, a 30 something Asian man. He was a pretty good player; fearless, could sense weakness, liked to 3 bet to thin the field. He had about $700 in his stack and I tried to stay out of his way. My stack was up to $605 and the rest of the table was between $200-$300 to start the hand.

UTG limps to me in early position and I raise to $15 (standard raise at the table) with KK. 3 callers and the Asian guy makes it $50 in the BB, obviously trying to thin the field. UTG limper calls...

Now, here I make mistake #1. This is a 4 bet spot 100% of the time. But I am kinda concerned about the limp/caller. I've seen this done with AA before and I'm worried about a cooler. I decide to just call and reevaluate on the flop since I have position on the 3 bettor & the limp/caller.

I did not expect to get 2 more callers behind plus the small blind! That's right, SIX players to the flop. A $300 pot pre in a 1/3 game. This was a first for me. "Welcome to Horseshoe", my husband said later.

The flop comes Th 7c 4s. Not really a great flop for KK..would't it be likely for TT to be in this 6-way freaking pot?! I really don't think 77 or 44 would call pre for $50, but would TT? As I'm cussing myself out in my head, the small blind leads out, silently sliding in his remaining $167. Freaking fabulous.

The Asian calls quickly. The limp/caller guy (the one I was originally worried about) folds pretty quickly. It's on me. In the biggest pot I have played so far. I look at my stack, $555, that I worked so hard to get! The Asian has me covered and he's still in it. It's either shove or fold, if I just call, he's going to put me in on the turn no matter what falls, that's what aggressive players do, right? Plus, I've still got 2 players behind...FML. Are Kings ever good here?? Shove or fold, shove or fold...

I fold.

It folds around. Heads up. Turn: Qh, river: Ad. The small blind turns over 6-7, the Asian laughs and turns over...5-7. They chop. I want to throw up.

Two players said they folded AK, I admitted to folding KK like a scared little girl. We all laughed after, but I had to rack up. I just couldn't believe I'd folded, or not even 4 bet to begin with..I knew I wouldn't be able to forget it and move on, so I had to call it a night.

Looking back, if I had just stopped to think for a minute and rewind the hand and used info from previous hands (the small blind liked to gamble & semi-bluff and was running bad and taking risks to get unstuck) (the aggressive Asian liked to 3 bet with a very wide range and continue if he caught any piece, no matter how small. If he'd had a strong hand there, he would've raised vs calling). It was all clear once I left the table, but at the table, in that moment, all I could think about was risking my whole stack with an overpair. Am I the biggest nit ever or what??? If it had been a tournament, I would've snap shoved there. I would've hoped not to see TT, but I would've shoved anyway. I let the fact that it was $ chips, not trny chips influence my decision. So stupid.

So, my biggest leak is folding out of fear. Also, not taking the time to think through a hand (does this line make sense?). Being scared of busting and folding because of it. Scared money never wins, they say. I am proof, unfortunately. But if you are aware of a problem, you can fix it. That's what I'm working on now. I made a call with 3rd pair in a cash game the other night and was right, ha! It wasn't in a $600 pot...but it's progress. :)









2 comments:

  1. Wow - tough lesson to learn. The important thing is learning from it.

    I would recommend NOT revealing your hand after a play like that. I rarely ever reveal a hand unless I have a good reason to do so. You might run into some of these players again, and now they have some information on you. I would have lied and said something like "small pocket pair" or "I had some paint."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally don't say what I had. Ever. I was just kinda in shock lol. It won't happen again, tho. Lesson learned! I will take the time to think about the hand to make the right decision and not worry about the risk of loosing the $. It's a psychological hurdle I had to jump. :)

    ReplyDelete