Monday, November 25, 2013

I Hate Post Titles So Ya Know

I was off Saturday so I played the Horseshoe tournament, the one Russell chopped last week. Went out right before the 1st break. nh gg. I don't think I've ever busted before 1st break! First time for everything, I guess! Probably should've folded pre, especially since I was running like dog doody and all...but, at 100/200 I raised in EP to 500 with AQdd. An older lady in MP 3 bet to 1500. The big blind called and I called because she was 3 betting often, not your typical old lady only 3 betting AA & KK. She would stab at pots, too, and try to outplay people, so I didn't trust she had a super big hand. I was the shortest stack of us 3 with about 8500 (42 bbs) left after the call.

Flop: Q J 9 with 2 spades.

BB leads for 1600 into me and Mrs. 3 bet.

What do you do there with TPTK on a draw heavy board? If you're me, you eff it up, obviously.

The big blind was a young guy and I always think young guys never have it lol. On a draw,huh, kid?! is what I think most of the time. I need to work on that, ha. He was pretty decent though, so I took KT, even sooooted, out of his range. He didn't 4 bet, so I took AA, KK, QQ, JJ and TT out. That left hands like KQ, KJ, AK, AJ, AQ, 99,  mayyybe QJ, JT etc.

If he had a set or 2 pair, would he lead out into us raisy-daisy ladies? I decided that no, he would not. He would lead with less than top pair and draws. Mostly draws. He's a kid, right?? He'd check-raise his big hands, but not lead with them. Spoiler alert: I was totally wrong.

So, with my thoughts on his leading range, I raised his 1600 to 3500. (I think smaller raises tend to look nuttier than larger raises. I could be wrong, of course, but it generally works for me.) The older lady folds without a thought and he pushes out a stack of orange chips, more than I had left. I said the F word.

You're supposed to have a plan before you bet. My plan was that he would fold. (EZ game!) If he re-raised, I would have to fold. But I didn't. :(

It's a super easy fold. But I looked at my sad, little, lonely grey 5000 chip and said whatever..and I threw it in anyway. He had a set of nines, of course, that became quads on the river. I coulda/shoulda/woulda folded, I mean 5000 was still 25 bbs. I have come back from way less before..I don't know why I did that. Dumb.


But hey, everybody makes mistakes, right? Live and learn. The rest of the night was fun, as Russell busted out not long after me and we had dinner and played cash for a little while. More on that game in the next post. Stay warm, y'all, it is brrrrrr out there!  


2 comments: