Sunday, September 1, 2013

Penny PITA


This is our Penny, an American Pit Bull Terrier. This is not the breed of Pits recognized by the AKC, as they are considered a mix breed and sadly, are mostly bred for fighting in this area. They are high energy, friendly dogs who love and crave attention. Whatever is going on, she has to be in the center of it. That's mostly why I changed her middle name to PITA (pain in the ass lol), jokingly of course. :)

She and her brother wandered into our backyard back in February while I was out doing some spring prep yard work. They were super friendly and so cute, but I didn't want another dog! We already had one, a 7 yr old mutt rescue, who is wonderful, but enough to clean up after. I tried very hard to find their owner. I put up flyers in the neighborhood, I posted about them on facebook and called the shelter to see if anyone had called looking for them; they hadn't. I left my number in case they did; no one ever called. I think they were let out on purpose. They had no collars, no tags. We took them to the vet to see if they had ID chips; they didn't. They were about 4 months old, not house trained, most likely a Christmas present and deemed too much trouble to care for, so they were turned out. That was my read, anyway. I felt sorry for them, but still, I did not want to keep them at the time. Especially after all of the mess I was cleaning up after them!


But my husband instantly fell in love with this face and my arguments against keeping her failed. My father in law agreed to keep the male and we kept the female. It wasn't long until I fell in love with her, too. She was house trained easily, she's so smart. She's had some issues with chewing things, but keeping her exercised helps a lot with that. She does require a lot of physical activity. But she is great..funny, smart and a big part of our family. We love her. <3

2 comments: